Sunday, March 29, 2009

Russia over a cup of joe

Okay, so I am still quite overwhelmed at how awesome God is at sweeping down at the "last minute" to answer prayer--especially since it is a prayer that I've had since Summer 2006 when I was in CollegeLife and I first heard about an opportunity to go on a mission trip to Russia. I wanted to go, but was WAY too new in my faith to really step out and go. Plus I HAD to have an internship before I graduated with my lofty accounting degree...(please note there was sarcasm there). So I didn't go, but that was the beginning of my want to serve God in Russia.

So I was at church on Thursday, and on my way home discovered that I had a voicemail from someone named Phil who organizes annual mission trips to Russia. He had received my name from a lady named Lisa last year. Here is that story:

I was studying at the Mo (coffee shop) for my ESL Supplemental exam, and noticed that another pair of women were discussing similar topics to what I was studying. So I eventually asked them what they were studying, and why. I found out that it was for a mission trip to Russia to teach English. I was excited to hear that they were going to Russia, but sad that I couldn't go--it didn't work into my schedule, and they already had the final team situated. However, they did take my name, email, and phone number and promised to pass it on for me.

Flash forward:
So I have been praying for God to send me somewhere for a mission trip. And when I thought I would not find a trip to Russia, I realized that Russia might not be the only place God wants me to go. I opened up my heart and mind to other possibilities. However, I was not actively searching....but God did bring the opportunity to me. Someone came to speak to my Bible Study class about Haiti; at first I was hesitant, but the more I prayed about it, the more excited I became.

I asked people for prayer, especially in the area of discernment; that if this is where God wants me to go, that I would know.

Three days before my Haiti application would be due, I received the phone call about Russia. I'm still not sure what God wills in this situation, but I am excited nonetheless, and look forward to finding out more details over coffee at 3PM on Sunday...stay tuned, and keep praying!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment